Saturday, March 30, 2013

My GT experience

My GT experience was really great, my team mates are all good presenters. During poly days, presentation was a breeze for me. I like presenting and articulate my ideas in front of audience, I have a dream of becoming of an successful person giving an inspirational speech on stage to inspire people. I guess it is because I was from engineering school and the teacher did not have such high requirement on the language used, that is why I was free to articulate my ideas without taking much consideration of the accuracy of language used. I felt that every words speaking out from my mouth which consisted of a powerful substance to impact audience.

After going through GT , I sat down to watch carefully about the presentation which was recorded and I found tons of fillers words I used and the postures that I had were pretty unprofessional. I felt that my presentation was natural but the way I spoke was a bit forceful. From the GT experience, I started to realize it is important to be good at the pronunciation and language used. I believe when we step out to the corporate world, people are judgmental, no matter how good your content is, once the language and pronunciation are not correct, people would not bother about listening the rest of your presentation.

Thanks for the constructive comments given by peers and Brad, I know it takes time to be a good presenter like being successful but I believe I can be the best of myself no matter in life or presentation.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Shao Jiet, for this critical reflection. It's interesting to note that you had the impression from a previous presenting experience that it was a "breeze." That accounts for the confidence that you show when presenting. At the same time, you honestly assess some of your behaviors during the GT. Obviously, pronunciation has been an issue for you. It's good that you embrace the challenge of improving. That was evident in the FOP, as you were much improved.

    Once again the value of reflection shows itself: By reflecting we have an opportunity to revisit what we've done and self assess, imagine means of improving (perhaps even visualizing such improvements)and lay out goals to work toward. I'm glad you've done this. In a few years time you will see the real changes, and your earlier dream of captivating audiences will be a reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shao Jiet,
    I believe that we both having problems with our language and pronunciations. Let's work hard together and improve on that.

    ReplyDelete